Sunday, November 4, 2012

I Am Thankful For...The Number 7

When I was younger, I used to love the day that we would set our clocks back an hour. It meant an extra hour of sleep! And what person wouldn't gladly welcome an extra hour of sleep? I'll tell you two people... A 2-year-old and a 4-year-old. 

Now that I'm a parent of young children, I dread Daylight Savings Time. I don't care if it's starting or ending. I don't like any of it. In fact, I dislike it so much that it prompted one of my very first blog posts ever.

Last night (or really early this morning if you want to be technical about it), we were supposed to make our clocks "fall back" an hour. But the only falling back I wanted to be doing this morning was falling back to sleep. Unfortunately kids don't observe Daylight Savings Time. To them, 7:00 is the new 6:00.

But on the plus side, Alec is four now. And do you know what is great about 4-year-olds? They know their numbers.

We have taught Alec that when he wakes up in the morning, he needs to wait until he does not see the number 6 on the clock. So pretty much every morning (including this morning), when the clock turns to 7:00, Alec appears at the side of my bed. But he always waits until he sees that 7. Actually, it's kind of like having my own personal alarm clock.


So in just another year or so, I should be able to teach Chase the same thing. And maybe then I will once again be able to claim my extra hour of sleep.

So let's hear it for the number 7... For providing that extra hour of sleep to some of the people who need it the most!


*In the spirit of Thanksgiving, "I Am Thankful For..." is a blog challenge I have decided to do during the month of November. Each day I will pick one thing that I am thankful for and blog about it. Obviously I am extremely thankful for the many things in my life I am blessed with, such as a wonderful family, my health and my family's health, great friends, a roof over my head, food on the table, and more. But this series is about all the other day-to-day things that I sometimes take for granted and that make life just a little bit better -- you know, the little things. To see a list of all the posts in this series, please click here.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha! So funny. Because it's true. For some reason this time change left the hubs & I just EXHAUSTED, but the kiddo rarin' to go. WTHeck?!?

    {{ stopping by from SITS }}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugg, the time change has been disastrous for this household too. My three year old has gotten up in the dreaded 'sixes' every day this week. It is killing me. I too used to love the extra hour daylight savings time provided before kids...now it is just a pain in the arse!

    ReplyDelete