Friday, November 9, 2012

I Am Thankful For...Sippy Cups

Every night at dinner, the same thing happens. We sit down as a family, eat our meal, talk about our day, and Alec drops his cup on the floor. Every. Single. Night. It always happens at least once, but usually multiple times throughout the meal.

It's not that he's being careless (usually). He just always manages to bump it with his elbow, hand, head, spoon or who knows what else. I swear sometimes he doesn't even touch it. It just falls.

So for this reason, my almost-5-year-old still uses a sippy cup. I would love to give him a cup without a lid at the table, but I just can't bring myself to get rid of the sippy cup. The glorious sippy cup. The cup that can be dropped, shaken, tipped, held upside down and shot out of a rocket and would still not spill more than a measly drip. I don't know who invented this miraculous cup, but I would love to personally thank them.

At this rate, I think Alec might still be using a sippy cup when he graduates high school. Maybe they should make "ability to sit through a meal without dropping a cup, plate, bowl, fork or other eating utensil on the floor" a requirement for graduating. Who needs math or English? Let's focus on the important things here.

At some point I guess I will have to give in and deal with the spills like a responsible parent. But for now I will leave the responsibility of spills up to the sippy cup.

So today I am thankful for the sippy cup, for preventing spills by kids everywhere, one dropped cup at a time.


*In the spirit of Thanksgiving, "I Am Thankful For..." is a blog challenge I have decided to do during the month of November. Each day I will pick one thing that I am thankful for and blog about it. Obviously I am extremely thankful for the many things in my life I am blessed with, such as a wonderful family, my health and my family's health, great friends, a roof over my head, food on the table, and more. But this series is about all the other day-to-day things that I sometimes take for granted and that make life just a little bit better -- you know, the little things. To see a list of all the posts in this series, please click here.

1 comment:

  1. Blake said to me tonight, "Why does Katie still use a sippy cup? She's going to be 4 next week."

    My answer: "I'm lazy."

    ReplyDelete