Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Just a Minute

I realized the other day that I tell Alec and Chase "just a minute" a lot. If I got paid a nickle every time I said "just a minute" to one of them, I think I could retire now. In fact, there's a good chance I even say it to them in my sleep.

I'm not sure why I use this phrase so often. It just seems to roll off my tongue the second they ask me for something. When Alec asks for a snack... "Ok, just a minute." When he needs help with something... "I'll be there in just a minute." When Chase thinks his stomach is going to eat itself since he hasn't eaten in (gasp) three whole hours... "Relax Chase, the bottle will be ready in just a minute."

Sometimes there is a legitimate reason for using this phrase, like when Chase is on the changing pad on his dresser and Alec thinks the world is ending because he can't reach a toy that rolled under the couch... "I can't leave Chase unattended Alec. I'll help you in just a minute." But other times I think I'm just so used to saying "just a minute" that my mind goes on autopilot and says it before I even process what they need. And other times it's just a selfish way for me to buy a few more seconds to check my email or updated my facebook status (or occasionally finish something productive like loading the dishwasher or folding a load of laundry).

Regardless of the reason, my kids probably think that "just a minute" is what you say to someone when they ask you something. And with Alec being the copycat that he is these days, I'm surprised he hasn't started using the phrase when I ask him to do something like wash his hands. And speaking of washing hands, it sounds like Chad is just about finished with his nightly routine of bathing the kids since Alec is on the way down the stairs asking for his bedtime snack and milk. And do you know what I told him? "Hold on Alec, I'll get it in just a minute as soon as I'm done blogging..."

My Next Mommy's Always Write Topic: Why are my kids so darn cute when I'm not around them?

No comments:

Post a Comment